Friday, January 14, 2011

REVIEW: The Children of Hurin

The Children of Hurin (ebook) by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Children of Hurin 
by J.R.R. Tolkien
2476054
Emily Rose Shallenberger's review 
Jan 07, 11  ·  edit

5 of 5 stars
recommended for: Anyone, not just LOTR fans.
status: Read in August, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 3

I've always been a Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fan, and when I discovered this book, of course I had to read it! It definitely has a place at the top of my list and in some ways I enjoyed it even more than the other books written by Tolkien. If takes place at an earlier time in the history of middle-earth than LOTR and the Hobbit, and it includes characters you only hear about vaguely in the Lord of the Rings, such as Morgoth. This story is a very well-written tragedy and I would recommend it to anyone, not just Lord of the Rings die-hards. It is very beautifully written and written in such a way that anyone can understand it (I know a lot of people that haven't read any other Tolkien novels just because of how hard they are to read for the mass public.) These characters are easy to fall in love with and very, very realistic. This book contains many of life's ironies in a bittersweet tale of tragedy, heroism and heartbreak.

As I said before, you don't need to have read any other Tolkien books or even be familiar with the world to get this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment