Thursday, August 29, 2013

Review: The Masque of Red Death

The Masque of Red Death
by Bethany Griffin

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. When I first read the inside of the cover, I didn't know how I felt about what sounded like girl partying it up to forget about the world dying around her. But I was pleased to find a great story line, several plot twists that I did NOT see coming, rich characters, and a fascinating if slightly depressing plague that is destroying everyone. Also, the concepts in this book such as everyone wearing masks all of the time has a lot of symbolism (to me, anyways, symbolism is different for everyone) that I haven't found so fascinating since I had read The Metamorphosis or Lord of the Flies for my classes. 

I'm not a huge fan of love triangles, I will admit, but this one was tolerable to me and did not distract me from the rest of the story. Those that love triangles, I believe, will really enjoy this one, it's very well written.

These characters are multi-faceted, realistic, depressing, and fun. I'll definitely read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment