Thursday, August 23, 2012

REVIEW: Destined (Wings, #4)

I'm really picky about my YA fantasy novels, especially the vampire and faerie variety. That being said, I really enjoyed the Wings series. There are a lot of fae books out there, and I love the science behind being a faerie along with how they matched faerie history with 'real world' history.

Here's my review of Destined.

Destined (Wings, #4) by Aprilynne Pike

Four stars.

What a marvelous ending! I'll admit that my interest in the first three books of the series was only mild, but this book is what really sold it for me. The characters are rich and have REAL development, which includes mistakes, wrong decisions and consequences. The ending of the book is bittersweet but not totally unexpected, and above all things is very realistic. I fell very much in love with this world and reading this conclusion to the series that ties it all together very well was definitely worth it. Even though I didn't love the first three when I read them, I know that going back and reading them again would be even more of a treat than the first time, now that I know all of the wonderful change that takes place.One word of caution, this book is definitely intended for the young adult. If you go into it expecting a great classic piece of literature, you will be disappointed. But if you appreciate this series for what it is, I believe you will fall in love with the characters and the fascinating world presented with its subtle hints of history; including for example King Arthur, Lancelot and Guinivere, along with Oberon from Shakespeare's "A Midsummer's Nights Dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment